October – Mollie Coddled

Sometimes you come across an artist who writes and records their own music, and that’s great. But, you may stumble across someone who writes, records and produces all by themselves, and that’s phenomenal. Enter Mollie Coddled, a 19-year old wizard who does all of the above in her bedroom studio – woaaah.

Originally from York, before moving to university in Leeds last year, Mollie released her debut single, ‘Honey’, in 2018 and was soon noticed by BBC Introducing York and invited to do a live session with Jericho Keys. It’s no surprise she was picked up so soon after her debut, Mollie’s sound is infectious and charming. In an interview with Merryn she described her music mainly as “dreamy lofi pop”, and really that says it all. Her sound sparkles with a hazy golden hour glow, it’s leisurely and laidback with a touch of daydream.

Her latest release, ‘One More Day’, has received notable coverage since its release. One example being that it was picked up by H&M and is currently being played across their stores – that’s one way to make your shopping experience more enjoyable. Her influences include Clairo, Soccer Mommy, Still Woozy and The Smiths, but you can really hear how bands such as Easy Life have shaped a track such as ‘One More Day’. In a fashion similar to Murray Matravers, Mollie toys with the mood of the track in relation to the lyrics. As she put it herself: “Despite it sounding like my happiest song so far, the lyrics definitely hold a deeper meaning.” On the surface, ‘One More Day’ bubbles with positivity, but on another level it’s more complicated.

Mollie conveys a real nuance in her music, it refuses to be one-dimensional. Perhaps this comes down to the DIY process, being able to constantly evolve and adapt on her own terms and in a comfortable environment. Speaking on this, in an interview she did recently with Parker Wierling, Mollie said: “I find it pretty convenient, you can just go back and forth to recording bits and bobs whenever you want instead of having a very structed set of time which stresses me out a bit.”

Mollie Coddled by Sophie Jouvenaar

As for the future, Mollie has already teased of more music to come, including the appearance of a debut EP. In addition to that, she’ll be kicking off 2021 with a headline show at Headrow House in Leeds. 

We’re chuffed to have Mollie join us for our first Bloom Session, we can’t wait to share the home recording she’s made for us. Be sure to check back in on the last Sunday of the month (25th) at 3pm when it’ll be going live. In the meantime, if you’d like to donate to Mollie please follow this link*. Anything you can spare is really appreciated.

Hey! Take a listen:

*60% of these donations will go towards Mollie Coddled, the remaining 40% will be donated to a charity in support of Black History Month (TBD)

Feature photo credit – Sophie Jouvenaar

Want to find out more about donations?

One thought on “October – Mollie Coddled

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: